CIMA (Centre for Independent Media & the Arts/Centre pour les Arts et Medias independents) is a not for profit social enterprise that offers multimedia promotions, civic media training, houses an FM station and a podcast network! We are a bilingual organization that prioritizes under-represented voices and communities. Our core values are leadership, integrity, community, diversity, culture and access. Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
Summary of Role
CIMA is looking for a nimble, enthusiastic and collaborative leader to join our management team. This position’s primary responsibilities will include coordinating and overseeing the production of multiple podcasts and radio programs by working with volunteer contributors. You will be working as part of a highly creative and collaborative team across all platforms – podcasting, radio, events, video and written content.
You will have an opportunity to make real impact across a range of initiatives, while working closely with senior management and a highly motivated and experienced group of volunteer contributors to improve and enhance our programming.
89.1 FM is a leader in our sector. We have dramatically expanded 89.1 FM’ s on demand audience and journalism footprint with the launch of a NEWS department and a burgeoning podcast network.
This position reports to the Station Manager (or equivalent position).
- Together with staff and contributors, you will create and manage a comprehensive content and talent development strategy that guides the growth and direction of our on air and podcast programs for the next several years, reflecting shifts in local demographics and media consumption habits
- Provide guidance, exploring practices for the ever changing radio & podcasting industry
- Assist in the development and implementation of a diverse audience growth strategy
Supervise contributors in developing our podcast and FM portfolio, including regular performance reviews/air checks, and making effective recommendations regarding recruitment, promotion, training and discipline
Participate in development process, developing new programs; researching and developing ideas from both internal and external sources
Foster an internal “culture of creativity,” tapping into talent both inside and beyond independent community media
Maintain relationships with current and potential contributors
Guide show production and pilot development through post-production; includes script, creative, casting, staffing, and production supervision
Operational & Divisional:
- Support our standards of excellence, including production quality as well as fairness, objectivity, and balance
- Work across departments to develop and sustain revenue opportunities for new and existing products & programs
- Work to foster strong communication and support for programming’s content
- Engage in the podcasting and independent media communities, positioning 89.1 FM as the premier creative, business, and strategic content partner
- Develop and manage budgets
- Execute contracts with outside partners
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, Diploma or equivalent work experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience in program development and production, with an emphasis on rich storytelling.
- Experience managing people
- Demonstrated ability to collect, organize and disseminate information.
- Bilingual -French & English
- Ability to have effective communication and planning detailed logistics.
- Ability to work with a diverse team and be able to anticipate the needs of the contributor
- Demonstrated ability to edit and produce audio within tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of research tools.
- Demonstrated writing ability.
- Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities
- Strong podcast or media skills, including proficiency in podcast planning, social media as both a newsgathering technique and, especially, as a way to distribute content.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Proven ability to consistently work as part of a team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at 89.1 FM and within the independent community radio system.
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Familiarity with 89.1 FM Podcasts & Programming
- Quality Decision Making
- Strategic Thinking
- Able to deal with Ambiguity
- Learning Agility
- Managing Complexity
- Managing Stakeholder relationships
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered. Please send to [email protected].
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 8 2020
CIMA offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
CIMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CIMA is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed and engaged public.